Book Review: Princess in Black Takes a Vacation by Shannon & Dean Hale, LeUyen Pham

Princess in Black Takes a Vacation is the fourth book in the Princess in Black series written by Shannon & Dean Hale and illustrated by LeUyen Pham. After battling monsters all night, a sleepy Princess in Black decides that she needs a vacation. After all, the Goat Avenger, a new hero who looks oddly familiar, has offered to protect the goats while she takes a much needed break. The very next day Princess Magnolia rides her bicycle to the seaside, where the air is salty, the sun is shiny, and the sea is as blue as monster fur. But just as Princess Magnolia is about to take a nap on her hammock, she hears a “ROAR!” Seriously? A monster? Could a sea monster really ruin this vacation for the Princess in Black? 


 Princess in Black Takes a Vacation is another great installment in this transitional chapter book series. The Princess in Black is a wonderful character that takes young readers on grand adventures, even when all she needs into relax and take a nap. I really like tat the Goat Avenger gets some adventure of his own while Princess Magnolia tried to rest- only to end up fighting yet another monster. I love the ending, which I will not spoil, and the colorful illustrations are a perfect pairing with the text. I think this series will continue to be a favorite for many young readers. I read it with my eight year old (we already own the previous books) and she reread it in the morning. I think this will be staying on my Kindle for quite awhile.

No comments: